Saturday 4 May 2013

Orcas!

After the disappointment of dipping the Black Kite on Wednesday, it probably flew over the meeting I was in, I needed a bit of a perk. Mid afternoon yesterday a text came in Orcas were heading for Orphir from Stromness. Too much work though, so I couldn't go then. A couple of hours later and another text, the pod were in Clestrain Sound heading for Mainland. The nerve broke and I headed off for Brig o'Waithe. Although the house is 7 or 8 clicks from the sea it is possible to see a chunk of the sound from our garden but I wanted a better view than that. The sound is well viewable from the Orphir road and after a couple of clicks or so I pulled in to a gateway. A quick scan with the bins and under the bow of the pilot boat there were fins. Quick with the scope and good views of a pod of eight or nine. Certainly one male, maybe two, the pod of eight or nine included females with young. Excellent views for a while then the pod headed north and looked to be off Pt of Ness, Stromness. I decided to move and hope for closer views but when I got there no sign and no sign out in Hoy Sound either. Magic moments though. Reckon I would have been able to get them as a garden tick as well...

What no pix? Well they were a mile away.

Also in the sound both Common and Arctic Terns, mostly heading south, perhaps these have come north around Hoy and up through Hoy Sound.

3 comments:

Steve Gale said...

Now those, I would have loved to see...

Alastair said...

They were pretty good Steve. I've had a couple of brief views of lone males (or apparently so), just seeing the fin when I've been seawatching but this pod were show-offs and despite the distance the views were exciting enough. Hopefully there will be chance of some more.

Nick Carter said...

Mega!!!