Sunday 15 September 2013

Blackwit fiesta

The blackwit situation on The Shunan has been very interesting with large numbers coming and going all week, they are likely also feeding somewhere to the east of me, Loch of Brochen maybe? Anyway, the totals having been in the 100+ all week, AL pipped my 129 with a 140 on Wednesday. When I walked up on Thursday with a school visit more than 140 flew off but I couldn't count them. Working on the track this afternoon I watched 46 fly in and 80 leave. However, when I got back up home late in the afternoon a quick glance down the hill indicated there were a good few there, scope up, careful count 163.

Not much else doing this weekend, Louise's b'day so full on birding was not on the agenda. A seawatch for an hour this morning found 233 Fulmar west and 200 east in an hour with 543 Gannets east and 50 west in an unpleasant SW wnd. Just one Bonxie west provided any variety.

A good tramp around Bosquoy mid-morning yesterday produced an awful lot of quackers with two Scaup being the stand out ducks.

Bosquoy quakers

No comments: