Wednesday 4 March 2020

Inverness

I had to go to Inverness. A new floater in my left eye (I've been troubled by these annoying things for years) got me to the GP, following a look at the excellent NHS website on this problem. The GP sent me to the optician, who wasn't quite sure, this on Wednesday and Friday, and by Tuesday I was on the plane and headed for the Opthalmology Dept of Inverness Hospital. Beautiful clear skies for much of both flights.

 Swona, the most southerly island of Orkney and one that is tricky to get to. It is uninhabited but interestingly has a herd of 18 - 20, now wild, cattle that have survived since it was abandoned (not the same individual critters, but their offspring). I'd really like to go there but it is a bit of a bugger to get to.

Snow topped hills, Soooth.

I failed to see Magpie, amazingly, but did manage to hear Blue Tit. No time for much though.

Just one person out and about with a face mask, and they didn't have it on properly. I'd half expected to see folk walking around the streets with face masks on. 

The previous few days haven't provided much, I will try and get this (what I think is a) slime mold identified though. Not sure about the black stuff, maybe another slime mold.




I did add Stonechat to the 1km sq species list this afternoon though when I had a bit of a wander about, late afternoon. Since Thursday Oystercatchers have been here in force, 60 then, 110 today. Lot of Curlew now and Lapwing on territory. So it is noisy around the house all the time now, Oystercatchers calling all the time. They have become one of my favourite birds since moving here. Their arrival in force signals Spring and their disappearence Autumn.

The good news is the eyes are ok, no retina damage, which is the possible problem with the appearance of new floaters. So no lasering, which was a bit of a relief.

2 comments:

Imperfect and Tense said...

Been in Inverness for a week and not seen a Magpie either, but did manage to find the Kingfisher in Merkinch Local Nature Reserve. When we met our younger daughter at Inverness Airport, half of her fellow passengers on a flight from Luton were wearing face masks. We inferred that Luton had not been their starting point!

Alastair said...

Not many face masks in Inverness, saw one person in the airport with one around their neck.