Monday 29 June 2020

Big insects

I continue to catch a these Phryganea caddis regularly. I have some microscope work to do to determine which species they are, grandis or bipunctata. The caddis guides are currently well thumbed, looking forward to the new book which is in production apparently.

Phryganea grandis / bipunctata - the largest UK caddis.

My other big thing was a much desired cranefly which finally turned up in a trap, Tipula maxima, a spectacular beast.

Tipula maxima.

This seems a tad earlier than I'm used to....

Setaceous Hebrew Character.

And some things I always struggle with:

Bactra lancealana (thanks SS and UKMothID)

Endothenia quadrimaculana maybe.

I catch these dark Eqs about 1:3 of standard ones, I'm still not convinced this is what they are.

However, plenty of nice moths.

Monopis weaverella

Flame Carpet.

Eudonia lacustrata, not sure I've caught that here before.

Female Ghost,

Ghost pair.

Ghost demise.

Dusky Brocade.

I'm looking carefully at Dusky Brocade this year as I would really like to nail a definite Confused which should occur.

Here's Palloptera saltuum, a bit of a speciality around our house and garden, this one at Wee Wood.

Here it is in action.

A wonderfully rubbish photo of the soldierfly Beris vallata, a tick, thanks LJ.

And another interesting Diptera, same time, same location, no idea what it is, enquiries in progress.


Chrysopilus cristatus, a snipe fly, thanks again  LJ.

And finally, a bit of a triumph, after a lot of attempts we seem to have got Yellow Rattle to grow in our meadow. Now I know how, we'll be seeding a lot more. (Bit of an effort mind.)


Eight Northern marsh Orchids have grown this year.

Northern Marsh Orchid.

No comments: