Saturday 20 June 2020

Mid week moths and stuff

I ran a Heath trap with a synergetic mid week and caught quite a bit, the first Udea olivalis for the year and plenty of different caddis which I will have to work through. Best though was a Small Phoenix which I've not caught here before. This species is reported more often locally though and seems to be on the increase.

Udea olivalis


Small Phoenix, underside and upper.

I found a few things in the horse water, as usual, this Phyllobius viridicollis was nice.

Phyllobius viridicollis.

The Sycamore in the back garden was full of insects feeding on the flowers, there were a lot of hovers and bees and Red Admiral as well.

Sycamore in the sun.


Red Admiral on the Hebe.

In the Hebe, along with the Painted Lady and Red Admiral were an unprecedented 50 or so Honeybee.

Green-veined White.

I photographed the orchids which we're delighted have finally colonised the garden, hard to know if it is the mowing regime, we're cutting much higher the last two or three years, or that I scattered a lot of seed last year. There are eight plants altogether. All are Northern Marsh Orchid (yes I know they're not supposed to have spots on their leaves but here lots of them do).


We've not cut this patch now, we have quite a few of these patches dotted around, as well as the mostly uncut Orkney Vole reserve.

No comments: