Thursday 4 June 2020

Bioblitz and beyond.

So the 24 hours of the bioblitz - Orkney Garden Bioblitz 2020 at #orkneybioblitz2020 and at this FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/3765596993515726 was windy and quite cool, I didn't bother to put the moth traps out at all. The colour trays caught almost nothing because of the wind and I spent much of the time trying to identify other folks' stuff. I've just now shared the last hoverfly with the national scheme (I hope), bit of a epic but it did bring people in to looking more at the wildlife in their immediate vicinity. Over 100 folk took part so that has to be a success. For me the best creature, although there are still some to identify was a very tiny weevil that decided to fly into my beeting tray (white umbrella actually) whilst I was searching through it.


The numbered scale is mm. I think a  Ceutorhynchinae but then which one is a challenge.
Now identified as Ceutorhyncus typhae, thanks LJ.

Since I started this post I've been working on a few of the other things I caught, a very tiny Hemipteran is going to be a challenge, thanks to TB I've got as far as Delphacidae and a link to the RES key (1960). From my experience, even if there are only 76 possibilities this is going to be a challenge.

Delphacidae?

An Empid of the genus Rhamphomyia - possibly sulcata - was also in the colour trays, started to try and key this oout but I've surrendered, perhaps the CR will  do it for me? Nearly 90 species and the key is quite hard work, Diptera aren't really my thing.

However, then I found this in the tray, a Bibionidae. The keys are relatively straightforward(ish) and I think it is Bibio johannis.


Bibio johannis I think.

There were a few hoverflies in the garden and the first Episyrphus balteatus of the year put in an appearance.


Episyrphus balteatus.

Eristalis pertinax, Eristalis arbustorum, Neoscia podagrica, Eupeodes corollae, Platycheirus albimanus and Rhingia campestris were also seen on the day.

Cyanomya mortuorum.

Not a hover but a fine Dip was hanging around the dead Rook around which I have a couple of pitfall traps. These were still filling up with larvae, not sure what of, I'm waiting to see what emerges from the corpse later, not that there's much left of it. Currently catching a lot of Pterostichus melanarius in them. Previously lots of Thanatophilus rugosus and a few Nicrophorus humator.

I set a moth trap the night after the bioblitz. Grey/Dark Dagger, Spectacle, Silver Y, Lychnis were notable, no more Glaucous Shears though. (I have a missing blog post re those.) In the late afternoon there were lots of bees around the perennial cornflowers and I managed a Bombus distinguendus (Great Yellow) and new for me the cuckoo bee Bombus bohemicus. I have in the past been trying to ignore the yellow, black and white bumbles as they are swines to ID but I've made an effort of late, takes a lot of photos to get the ID nailed though.

Bombus distinguendus

Bombus bohemicus.



No comments: