Tuesday 28 July 2020

A walk

I fancied a walk on Hoy and Louise suggested going up Cuilag which sounded ok. I've not been up there before and it is a relatively straightforward thing, so I thought.

There was a certain lack of communication around route. I had expected Route Orange, indeed I thought that had been agreed. Apparently I had agreed to Route Blue, I don't recall that. In the end Route Green seems closer to the actual walk. Whatever, it was a bit of a way and we were all totally knackered by the time we made it back to the boat (with, it has to be said, time to spare, there was a point when I had thought we might struggle to make the ferry time).


Masks were worn on public transport as required.

First time we have been off Mainland for a good while.

M found this nice Northern Eggar cat.

We went up to Berriedale, the most northerly natural woodland in the UK I believe.


Downy Birch, Aspen and Mountain Ash predominate.

There is some Oak either within Berriedale or nearby but that will be for another day to search for, time was tight.

Just above the woodland, on the moor, there were Large Heath butterflies, a single Common Hawker and Pterostichus niger.

As we got higher there was more and more prostrate Juniper, walking through a Juniper forest even.

Juniper amongst the grasses and Ling.

We headed for Sui Fea, Mountain Hare was seen (introduced here), numerous Bonxie were ever present, 16 Twite flew over and there were more Large Heath.

Louise found (breeding?) Red-throated Diver at the top, where there was a Kestrel (very uncommon in Orkney).

Heading for Cuilag we were subject to a persistent but half-hearted Bonxie assault, I suspect it's young had fledged very recently.

 From the top.

 At the top.

Going down was a bit of a trial, steep.

Emperor was found at the bottom.

Emperor Moth cat.

It started to rain and the mist came in.

Cuilag is the one on the right.

3 comments:

martinf said...

Looks stunning. One day I will make it that far north!

Alastair said...

It's an interesting place indeed Martin. Weather grim the last two days though, which is the risk visiting. I'd recommend Hoy, there is so much to be discovered there. Moaness and North Hoy in particular does turn up interesting things. Berriedale Wood would be well worth some serious effort, but the midges in summer can be hellish on a nice day. On the top of Cuilag or Ward Hill is like another world. I found Hydrothassa hannoveriana near Moaness a few years back, there's a West Mainland site for that as well. West Mainland also has Chrysolina latecincta, usually quite easy to find in spring, and the carabid Pelophila borealis is usually fairly easy to find in numbers in summer. Mothing can be hard work tho...

martinf said...

sounds awesome. I have a work sabbatical due next year and Orkney is one possibility (pandemic dependent). I love islands so will definitely explore the opportunities.