Monday 13 July 2020

Cycle

It was sunny and still on Thursday so I cycled down to the Large Heath site to get my annual fix. I had twelve or so sightings in an hour, one or two quite close but nothing photographable. I need to have a look around some of the other likely sites that are closer to home, need a sunny, still day though.

Large Red Damselfly.

I'd not seen damselflies at the site before so was pleased to see four or five of these.

Also some nice plants which I haven't got around to looking up.

I'm being lazy, I need to look this up.

Platycheirus manicatus on Marsh Cinquefoil (Potentilla palustris).

Hare's Tail Cotton Grass.

Hare's Tail Cotton Grass.

I checked a couple of sites for damselflies on the way back, Large Reds at one, Blue-tails at another but small numbers.

Curlew.

Curlews by The Shunan have chicks, despite the Stoat family living nearby. Tufted on The Shunan with eight chicks, the Shoveler still has one, and there's a new brood of  six Mallard. On Bosquoy one of the pairs of Mutes has a large chick, a few Tufted broods in evidence too,

2 comments:

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Great shots, I've never seen a large red damselfly

Alastair said...

Thanks Simon