Sunday 6 September 2020

The Brough of Birsay

We had lunch in the Birsay cafe. I'd already mooched around for an hour beforehand, although there were too many people and the beach was disturbed. Anyway, after lunch, with the causeway just clear of water, I headed across to the island(ish).

 Brough, lighthouse, sheep.

Lighthouse, in the background there is the monument to Kitchener at Marwick.
 
 
Westray in the background, N&D's sheep foreground.
 
Looking back.

 
Forficula auricularia, Common Earwig, female I think.

Not many birds and only half-heartedly looked for insects. The earwig was under a small stone.

Walking back across the causeway there were seaweeds, a small fish and a Hermit Crab.

Earlier on my disturbed search for waders on the beach I came across this Moon Jellyfish and a few undisturbed, or ultra-tolerant Turnstone. There were a lot of alba type wagtails, at least 30, including one certain alba alba (no photo, flighty things).

 
Aurelia aurita.
 
Turnstone.

Earlier, at home, I'd gone looking for plant galls. These on Meadowsweet are from the midge Dasineura ulmaria (Ceciomyiidae) apparently. I think it is too late in the year to find the larvae inside, anyway I didn't try. Apparently this species can exhibit a mass emergence with millions in the air at once - https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10160186748789816&set=pcb.1860996034076565

Thanks DM for the heads' up, Dasineura ulmaria.

This search led me to seeing a Grey Heron take an Eel Anquila anquila from The Shunan, only seen that once or twice here before. And, what I think is, a just pupated Emperor.

Emperor maybe.

A look in the neighbour's garden for migrants led to a glimpse of what may have been a warbler. Other than Sedgies I've seen one Willow Warbler and one Chiff on the patch so far this year in the warbler line, bit of a sorry state. Other than Blackcap and Sedgie usually Sibe Chiff, Chiff and Y-bW are my next most common warblers. Anyway, it disappeared into a Perennial Nettle jungle. There seemed to be a bit of a Reed Bunting thing going on with one in the garden and several down the track. A feasible Great Spot Woody was reported yesterday. Swallows are ganging up and thinning out.

Usual Sunday thing Freak Zone followed by The Don - 6Music.

2 comments:

Gibster said...

I think your Emperor cocoon may actually be the egg sac of a Clubiona spider.

Alastair said...

Ah thanks Gibster, I should have thought of that possibility, will show to local spider expert.