Sunday 16 October 2011

American Wigeon

Thanks to AL for the prompt text, ten minutes later I was watching a nice drake American Wigeon on Loch of Harray. It was at a bit of range but interestingly straight-necked and floating higher in the water. I'll have another look tomorrow to see if I can pick it out again with a bit more time to look.

A family trip to South Ronaldsay produced a Swallow, a juvenile Lesser Black-backed Gull and really good numbers of Eider and Gannets. The Gannets must have got into a shoal of fish as there were near enough 1400 in the flock, about five miles off I reckonned.

At home the Tree Sparrow was on the feeders and a couple of Reed Buntings dropped in briefly but I had little time to look.

2 comments:

Cuby said...

Really interesting observations.Lots of eider ducks where we were staying on Lewis and of course off the coast many,many gannets.Greylag geese grazing on fields nearby and a meadow pippet on a railing outside the lounge. Back home now so different report from Cornwall.

Alastair said...

... a tad warmer I suspect as well.