Sunday 31 January 2021

Count.

The species count from the camera trap is slowly rising. Dog (Golden Retriever), 2; irritating Humans, 3; Brown Hare, probably the same beast on a number of occasions; cat (not ours), 1; Blackbird, 4 individuals at least; Robin, 1 (presumed the same); Chaffinch, 5+ distantly; Rook, 30+ very distantly; Song Thrush, 1

 


Waiting for some other mammmals to appear. Now including apple in the bait, along with bird food and small dog biscuits. I'm due a Little Bunting but it would be frustrating to see it from the trap and not in life, not sure how I'd feel about that.

A few interesting things I've come across of late - The Investigation, the best TV series I've watched in a very long time, intelligent, original, and an astuate subtext. Bicep, brilliant new dance music. A Walk in the Woods, old people finding friendship.

A second camera body for less than £100, I couldn't turn that down, especially as it's nearly new (old but barely used). A PEN  EL5 added to the kit. Same quality of image, which when linked with the 12-45 Pro lens means decent.

Used it to take some images of seaside lichens yesterday. I'm trying to learn my lichens, just bought the FSC leaflets, they'll help me get in the right area before consulting Dobson. Not sure if I can be bothered with all the chemical malarky, I guess I will within the 1km if it means getting a definite ID.

Caloplaca verruculifera, I think. Caloplaca thallincola more likely.


Buellia stellulata, maybe, or not, reidentified to Diplotomma alboatrum or D. chlorophaeum.


I photographed the Turnstones for a bit too.
 


And the Harbour Seals.


These all with the OM-D 5 though.

Today's lichen shots were taken with the Pen and the OM-D, I needed to use the OM-D, tripod and macros lens with focus stacking on the Cladonia, tricky things to ID, not at all sure I've got it right. Educational though with the focus stacking, I think I'm beginning to get the hang of that, unlike the Olympus TG-4 it takes a bit of figuring out. First five with the PEN.

Physcia aiploia.

Ramalina farinacea.

Ramalina fastigiata.

Ramalina fraxinea.

Usnea subflidana.


Cladonia macilenta (probably not) or maybe coniocraea? Or even C. polydactyla, K test required.

Hypogymnium physodes but what are the black spots? (They're the pycnidia that hold the spores, thanks BH.)

Nice selection on Hawthorn.

Bit more later probably - Garden Birdwatch count....

45 species of bird for the 1Km sq for January, Jack Snipe added today, I missed treading on it by about 10cm or so. Other things: Fungi - 3, Lichen - 8; Moths - 2, Mammals - 5, Molluscs - 1, Isopods - 2, and a few other bits and bats.

Garden Birdwatch - Woodpigeon - 1, Blackbird - 11, Song Thrush - 1, Robin - 2, Dunnock - 2, House Sparrow - 20, Goldfinch - 1, Brambling - 1, Chaffinch - 18, Feral Pigeon - 16.

2 comments:

Louise said...

Fab lichen photos!

Alastair said...

Thanks Louise, still struggling to identify them all though.