Wednesday 4 January 2023

First beasties of the year.

A litter sample from under Ivy yielded a millipede and an aphid, not yet identified. However, an evening excursion around the trees with a headlamp and a camera revealed three Winter Moths, just males.

Winter Moth, male, on Sycamore bud.

Spent much of yesterday writing a note for The Coleopterist about the Ceutorhynchus picitarsis. The journal is quite formal, at least more so than the Bulletin of Orkney Field Club and Atropos where I have had notes and short items published in recent years. One problem seems to be that all my references are online which it doesn't really cater for. If the note is rejected I'm sure the Field Club will be interested in publishing, so I won't have wasted my time. We'll see. 

I was pipped at the post by a few hours with my Ancylosis oblitella, so second for Scotland! However, the Ceutorhynchus is a first, although on NBN marked as unconfirmed, I'm not sure how to get it to "confirmed" status. It will be on its way to National Museums Scotland shortly - ref NMS.10018795, perhaps it will get checked there? 

Snipe, Song Thrush and Sparrowhawk added to the Patchwork Challenge list in the last two days.


3 comments:

Stewart said...

I had the most northerly oblitella by about 200 miles for all of about 2 days! ;)

Alastair said...

A county first is still a pretty good find Stewart. The finder of the Aberdeenshire one, found it by searching. I'd already written mine up for Atropos as a first for Scotland, a bit quick out of the blocks! I'd better let them know it's the second.

Ali said...

weevils get verified on iRecord so if you put it on there it may end up confirmed. Not sure who would even look at it at NMS