Friday 7 April 2023

I can see our house from here....

 

Looking from the Ring of Brodgar, across Loch of Harray, today; the weather is always like this here, honest.

I spent much of the day around Skaill, hunting for the Smew, again, and failing again (it was seen yesterday). Lots of nice things on Loch of Skaill tho, summer plumage Slavonian Grebes being the star attraction.

High tide when I got to the beach so I searched the cliff top. I've some samples to look at later, grass clumps again. But turning stones over I found this (twice, and a larva).



Broscus cephalotes.

Pretty sure this is a larva of the above Broscus cephalotes, it was large.

Having been bought a very nice lunch, failed to recognise an ex-colleage (embarrassing, but this is becoming a bit of a habit) met family and wandered down on to the beach where the tide had now gone out, out, a long way out. I came across this inshore GND.


Great Northern Diver.

And in fishing mode...

I love how they do this peering underwater thing.

Lots to do the morn, colour water trap to sort, grass clumps to go through. Somewhat easier, the LEEK pheromone trap caught a Common Quaker.


Common Quaker.

No comments: