Saturday 7 October 2023

Eye-browed Thrush in the garden.

I've found a few rare birds, should have, I've been at it for 62 years (I reckon to have started birding when I was six years old). I think this is the only mega though, a few BBs along the way, plenty of county level stuff. Of late, although I still go birding pretty much every day, invertebrates have been my main interest. 

Today started with moth traps, three traps two moths, somewhat disappointing, just Angle Shades and Small Wainscot. It was after breakfast, late morning that I noticed the Redwings dropping in. A few at first but then a flock dropped out of the sky, as they do. I had a couple of quick searches around the garden to no avail and then headed for the coast where there was no obvious incoming of migrants.

At home again lunchtime and more Redwing activity with further flocks doing the dropping out of nowhere. We have Swedish Whitebeam in the garden and they were an obvious target, berries were disappearing at a rate. But, each time I went round the trees the flocks headed off.



Redwings scoffing Swedish Whitebeam berries.

There was also a bit of Swallow movement, a House Martin, Pied Wag and a few other bits and bats. However, I've been looking for moth larvae recently so elected to head off down the hill, check The Shunan and wander across the fields. Target species Chlorophora glaucicolella.

Dipped on the moth, couldn't find appropriate food plants. And eventually headed back up the hill to the house via a few diversions.

Redwings were very evident in the back garden and in between tea and cake and more tea I kept checking them. Hummed and hawed about going out on the bike. Had another look at the trees. That's odd, that Redwing has no breast streaks, and it's all red-brown down the breast (it was face on). It went down on the ground in the vegetation, definitely no breast streaks, neat little wing bar, rather different face markings, more restricted, less clear. Grabbed the camera which was handy and managed to fire off a few shots. Look at the camera back, no I wasn't imagining anything. Now wracking memory... too small and not right for Red-throated Thrush. Grab the book (Wildguides is always on the kitchen window ledge) .... various expletives. Fumbled the phone. AL lives just 10 mins away, gave him a ring.


Eye-browed Thrush first images.

When AL arrived he confirmed that I wasn't mad. And it was general relief when both AL and Louise had confirmatory views and we got some better images.  At this point I put the news out on What's App.


Eye-browed Thrush

A couple of folk quickly arrived for the twitch but all the time the light was failing and the bird, having presumably stuffed its wee belly with berries was showing more intermittently and briefly. Last seen a bit before 5ish.

Well that was a bit of a do. And I didn't see a Greenfinch all day (again).

6 comments:

Gibster said...

Wow, you jammy b***er! :D
Well done buddy, it's not called jammy if you keep checking, it's called well deserved. One hell of a bird for the garden though.

Nick Carter said...

Very well deserved indeed! Nice one.

Nahal said...

Well done. That's a superb garden tick!

Alastair said...

Fab bird, still reeling, thanks for the comments - Louise tells me I need to find something this good every week and then we might sell the house.... Anyway, I'm now rather glad we haven't sold it quite yet!

Gavin Haig said...

What a cracking read! Great that you were able to share such a monumental find too. 😊 👍

Alastair said...

Thanks Gavin, still a bit disbelieving of it all. Back to the "day job", found a nice Calliphorid and have spent half the day identifying and photographing it.