Having done a recce, see earlier post - Meall Corranaich - and then a "training" run, going up Carn Chois where I found what is apparently the fourth record for Scotland (NBN) of Gasterophilus intestinalis Horse Bot Fly sitting on the trig point.
 |
| Gasterophilus intestinalis |
A "training" run that had nearly done for us as we had seriously under-estimated the distance, steepness and sun exposure that would be encountered. This due to the Carn being a "close" hill we can see from the house, and so had somewhat underestimated its difficulty, particularly as we went at it from Glen Lednock and not the shorter and more sensible route from Glen Turret.
 |
| Carn Chois |
 |
| A Euphrasia sp, the flowers are very small and this one only seems to grow quite high, c 600m. I'm wondering if it is identifiable. |
There were lots of butterflies, including many Dark Green Fritillary and higher up Small Heath.
 |
| Dark Green Fritillary |
Irritatingly this plant, a potential P-SL tick, could not be identified as I did not know I needed to look at the fruits and seeds.
 |
| Melilot, either Melilotus officianalis or M. altissimus. I might go back later today and check it. I need to get the colour of the seeds amongst other things - Stace (I now have a copy) says I need to measure the fruits and see if they are hairy or not, count the seeds, note the seed colour and compare the keel and the wings (equal or shorter). Botany is hard! (Fruit hairy, two seeds, pod 6.5mm = M. altissimus) |
Botany is even harder when the target species are near the top of the 10th highest Munro. However, this is easier than Carn Chois as you can drive to a car park quite high up, and nowhere is the path really steep, provided you avoid the Beinn Ghlas route.
 |
| The now dried up pool at the col. |
The pool at the col that was so full of life last time is now bereft of water. Car park to col 1 hour if you get a bit of move on.
On the way to the col I managed to pause long enough to pick up a Carabus glabratus, a species I'd not seen previously.
 |
| Carabus glabratus |
From the col you circumvent Beinn Ghlas, the paths are a bit rough initially but the views are spectacular.
 |
| Looking in to Glen Lyon (I think) |
 |
| An Stuc in the distance and Ben Lawers. The target area is the rocky outcrop below the summit of Ben Lawers. |
90 minutes to get to the botany area. I was in a bit of a rush as the team had gone off to do another Munro or two whilst I botanised. This gave me less than the optimal amount of time.
As you go up you start to notice a few interesting plants, Mossy Saxifrage and Alpine Mouse-ear can be found along the path. The usual Alchemilla conundrums are frequently encountered and whilst I did take a specimen or two (which all proved to be glabra) I was largely ignoring these despite the potential of two or three P-SL ticks.
 |
| Mossy Saxifrage Saxifraga hypnoides - I don't think there is a hybridisation issue at this site. |
 |
| Alpine Mouse-ear Ceratium alpinum can also be found along the path |
Once at the spot I quickly came across Alpine Lady-fern. I'm pretty confident this is ok. From what I understand a bit early in the year for getting all the features on these but Obsi was happy and my fern book seems to indicate I'm on safe enough ground. It's always a bit of a call with taxa that are somewhat alien to me. Never all that keen on ferns and fungi in particular, or bees for that matter.
 |
| Alpine lady-fern Athyrium distentifolium |
 |
| Habitat shot, plant community on schist, an alkali substrate I believe. The taller bushy stuff is Roseroot Rhodiola rosea |
The three standout plants for me were Arctic Gentian (I took lots of photos), Arctic Forget-me-not, I just managed to find one flowering, and Net-leaved Willow, which I was shown, otherwise I suspect I might have missed it. An hour was just not long enough and I'm hoping to go back on a more leisurely schedule later this week.
I was very fortunate in that a real botanist arrived at the site shortly after me and showed me a few things. However, I did find my own gentians, they are tiny! And for the Arctic Forget-me-not I found two, one of which had a single flower remaining. Follows a lot of images!
 |
| Alpine Forget-me-not Myosotis alpestris |
 |
| Net-leaved Willow Salix reticulata |
 |
| Alpine Gentian Gentiana nivalis, habitat, there are two in the image. |

 |
| Alpine Gentian Gentiana nivalis, a very tiny plant |
The hour shot by and all too soon I had to leave, indeed I cut it a bit fine and ended up half running down the hill.
Somewhat knackered the next day.
No comments:
Post a Comment