Saturday 9 August 2014

Poor blog....

...it's feeling quite neglected as I get distracted by Orkbird and orkneylep2 but especially the new Orkney Insects Facebook page which is very busy, thanks to MG for setting it up and allowing me to join.

The trouble with the moth trap is that along with macro moths which aren't too bad to ID there come micro moths which are a whole lot trickier, despite the new book. Then there are those other things that are in the trap like awkward beetles and wasps and.... it goes on. So I get distracted. What has been interesting in investigating some of the identifications is just what brilliant use is being made of digital photography and the web to try and make identification of some groups of invertebrates accessible. I will sort out some links for some of this stuff in the side panel because it is interesting, and the links may be useful.

 Aphodius ater I think

 Sexton Beetle

It is currently a brilliant butterfly year here, tomorrow may be the last chance for a while tho as the following week looks good for just one thing, seawatching. It is pouring today, well this afternoon. This morning the midges were devouring me on Palace beach, almost unheard of. Tomorrow I could go to the moth event on South Ronaldsay but instead I think I might go and hunt for Large Heath which, with luck, will still be flying. Today I saw a third Painted Lady for the year, still not one in the
garden tho.

 Painted Lady

 Small Tortoiseshell

A Sparrowhawk is regular around the house and The Shunan at the moment, this species has been quite uncommon this year. Two Grey herons have returned to haunt Bosquoy and The Shunan and Hen Harriers are beginning to be seen more frequently again. A Red-rumped Swallow was reported from Palace on Thursday afternoon, unsurprisingly it was not there yesterday or today.


At Palace there are still a few adult Sanderling and today there were eight smart adult Knot. Loch of Banks held 20 Blackwits and there were two broods of Red-breased Mergs on Loch of Boardhouse.


Moth trap out, some risk with the weather but I think it will be ok.




No comments: