Friday 1 August 2014

Red-foot again

No I haven't seen it again but it has been reliably seen twice in the county since my brief encounter. It was photographed on Wyre and then seen at Tankerness. The age and sex was as I called on the short view that Louise and I had in the garden so seems like confirmation. Presumably it's moving around as there is a shortage of food here.

Bit of a discussion on orkbird about this bird. I've posted a few times there and won't repeat the discussion here. I have posted a draft description of the bird here . I don't have any doubts about the ID and think it reasonable to link the Orkney sightings, Orkney and Scotland records committees may of course disagree.

Some recent moths:

Hoary Plume, found in the kitchen, quite a good record I think. Platyptilia isodactylus.

Notocelia cynobatella

Today proved Teal breeding on The Shunan with two, probably two week old, chicks. Five Blackwits, a couple of Bonxies and an Arctic Skua through. First thing this morn there was a juv Willow Warbler trapped in the Crucifer pen, on release it went to feed through the garden, none the worse for wear.

No comments: