Sunday 5 July 2020

On holiday

Phew, got there. A week shorter than it should be but better than nought.

Moth traps have been out. No big effort as the weather has not been quite right but I've run the Heath traps for a few nights. Nothing spectacular but a few nice things.

These two characters might be Eudonia alpina, equally, however, they might just be angustea. I can't see the white lines on the forewings well which are diagnostic apparently. There are some features which make me think they could be and they are big, 11mm, and it's the flight time, apparently. I'd like to nail alpina, it should be possible here. I've had possibles before but I don't think I've ever had one confirmed, certainly not in recent years.


Opinions welcome - Eudonia angustea or maybe alpina.

I've spent a lot of time messing about with these beetles found in the Rook pitfall traps. MT helped me and got me to Catops, I had managed to get as far as Leiodidae under my own steam.

I found a Catops key but then it has been suggested that probably only dissection of male genitalia is reliable, these things are quite small, my microscope needs replacing and I'm not too good at that kind of delicate stuff these days. Probably best to give the specimens to someone else.


Expanded front tarsi = male. Antennal segements 8 and 6 are shorter than long and the elytra look a bit shiny (other pic) so maybe it is grandicollis. Equally, it might not be. Probably the point at which to surrender.

Various other things to identify, a caterpillar, a sawfly larva, a couple of craneflies and Aphodius beetle. They have messed with all the names of the Aphodidae, this is now

Bodilopsis rufa (was Aphodius rufus), confirmed, thanks DM.

Here's a selection of stuff I've either not really had a go at or are out for consultation:

 Somewhat mangled Green Gem, Black Gem, Microrhysa flavicornis cyaneiventris, (thanks LJ) getting loads of these everywhere at the moment. Resources for soldier fly identification now placed in the side panel under Diptera.

Cranefly to be sorted. Dicranomyia sp.

Micro cat I think.

Another of these dark Endothenia quadrimaculana (I think).


Sawfly larva.

Philaenus spumarius.

A good few caddis to work on but Limnephilus marmoratus, and (likely affinis) plus another huge Phryganea grandis/bipunctata.

I walked along the cliff east of Northside, it is one of the places where there is little dumping of rubbish (just one small area) and it is very quiet. Scattered auks, Shag breeding and when you get to the top of the hill a great view of The Brough of Birsay. Rubbish photos of Puffin so I deleted.

Brough of Birsay.

Yesterday we went to Brodgar. Normally in the summer there would be coaches in the car park and the place would be full of people until you walk past the monument. There were very few folk there.



 

Ok for us, not so good for many Orkney businesses, there are real problems for lots of the hospitality and tourist businesses. I think there will be a few gaps in the high street when this situation is past. Our favourite pub in Kirkwall has gone apparently.

Skylark with food.

A few birding things today: the Shoveler on The Shunan still has her one chick, Tufted with six chicks on Loch of Bosquoy and Teal, late, with two small ones as well. A pair of Siskin have been hanging around, the Goldfinches have raised at least one chick and a Grey Heron has taken to sitting in the Wee Wood.

No comments: