Saturday 29 August 2020

Moth (several) night(s)

 I've trapped for each of the three nights. Thursday's trapping went to work and entertained quite a lot of children who all got to handle moths (if they wanted to) and admire them. This created a degree of excitement (understatement). I do this every now and again and moth night seemed the ideal opportunity. Nothing special in the traps but Pink-barred Sallows and Autumnal Rustic were the nicest looking.

Then I trapped last night for myself, two traps in the garden.

Large Ear seems the most likely ID for this, I'm attempting gendet.


Small Autumnal Moth.

These were both NFY. Some interesting intruders including Melanostoma scalare and Stenophylax permistus (thanks SF).

I seem to have got the hang of the Stenophylax / Micropterna issue thanks to @Riverflies pointing me to some resources. (A bit complicated to get at, but join the FBA and then join the Caddis fly Group within that, the ID resources are under "Ecology" - I'll place a link on the blog, or email me and I'll send a copy). The illustrations in Barnard and Ross drive me nuts. It is such a shame because it could have been such an excellent book. The genitalia illustrations are sometimes very difficult to understand and then all the photos of the forewings are upsidedown. There are just not enough photos of adult animals and those that there are are on the whole not very good. SF and IW are close to publishing their new guide I believe (at least in a beta form), very much eager to get my hands on a copy as I have a fridge full of specimens to ID.



These are all of a male Stenophylax permistus, I'll try and get some better genitalia photos tomorrow.

Limnephilus marmoratus, the commonest caddis here summer and autumn.

Male, Melanostoma scalare.

Excited for the morn as I obtained permission to trap in Finstown, two traps are operating there as I type. Excellent habo so every chance of some new things for me. I'm also running the synergetic down at the Wee Wood tonight.

Rabbits do not come into our back garden, due mostly to our tom cat who really enjoys rabbit for tea. However, this one has been coming for a while and has so far evaded his attentions. It is still growing but not large enough to avoid predation I suspect.

Rabbit.

I have not abandonned the 104 page, just having a break and doing a bit of research. I have four or five albums lined up to add. I am realising that it is a bit biased between the 70s and very recently, as I have more access these days to a wider variety of music. So apologies to the 80s, 90s and 00s but those years will be underrepresented. However, unlike SMac I will try to avoid the same artist getting more than one shout (except for Gil Scott-Heron who already has two entries and might be getting three via collaborations with other artists, but why would anyone complain about that?).


This will be album 52 (halfway) one of my favourites ever, and from the 80s too. (also included on the Freakzone list). It so reminds me of warm summer days in rural SE England, a gem.

No comments: