Saturday 5 September 2020

Sugar out

 Well I brewed up a batch. It's working well for SSR, Rosy Rustic, Tipula paludosa, green cellar slug et.al. just not for Convolvulus Hawk. To add insult to injury someone locally caught one in their shed, a scruffy mangled one admitedly but still a Convolvulus Hawk. Instead I caught this in the trap...

Initially I thought it was Brown House Moth but the head is the wrong colour and it was small and maybe not quite the right shape, maybe Agonopterix, and perhaps umbellana, and perhaps not.


 This Syrphus larva was in the trap, unfortunately I lost it amongst the LYUs, in the past I have raised S.torvus from such things.
 

Trapping in Finstown did, however, produce this lovely Heath Rustic.

 Various other things found in Finstown included some interesting looking Empids and a cranefly that might also be worth pursuing.

There are two nice rare birds over on Burray at the moment but I would much rather find my own stuff and spent time at Birsay not seeing much, so it goes. A neighbour reported what might have been a Great Spotted Woodpecker at the Wee Wood this morning, I had a look once I was told of it but saw nothing, there have been a couple about in the county recently.

Probably have another go at Birsay the morn as it is going to rain heavily tonight, put me off trapping. When I trapped on Thursday in wind and rain I was rewarded with a trap full of Calliphoridae and very few moths. Weather should improve in the week.


Dunlin.

No comments: