Sunday 29 November 2020

Nine moths trapped, end of November!

I don't often run the traps at all this late in the year but it was warm and still. Put the Heath actinic in its usual back garden spot and the synergetic against the wall of the house. It was already well dark when I put them out as I didn't get in from work, bit of shopping and sorting the pony until nearly 6. Patrolling with the head torch and tubes a couple of hours later and there were moths. One on the wall by the synergetic and as many as six around the actinic or on it. Better still they were new for site Mottled Umber.

Mottled Umber - one smart beastie.

Later evening, watching "I'm Thinking of Ending Things", but after half an hour or so it started playing with our heads, I'll watch the rest another time. Anyway, M and I much enjoyed the next Small Axe film "Lover's Rock". Still references the racism of the time but not as heavy duty as Mangrove, which was depressing, in reminding how deeply institutionalised the racism was (and actually still is, just slightly subtler).

When I emptied the traps in the morning there were four Mottled Umber outside and four inside the actinic and one outside the synergetic. So a total of at least nine, more like 12 or so I suspect counting all those on the trees and flying the previous evening. All males, I'd like to see a female, they look smart (in the illustrations).

I think this larva might be Nebria brevicollis, I'll ask anyway. Out of one of the pitfalls.

Carabid larva, I think, Nebria brevicollis maybe.
 In the morning it was the lockdown bird race again. Not being locked down I got distracted after a bit but 40 species from the garden wasn't bad. Included Goosander x2, Slavonian Grebe and a distant few Stonechats. The Goldcrest in the Hawthorn Hedge was somewhat out of range and Little Grebe, Jackdaw, Hen Harrier, Shoveler, Gadwall and a few other bits and bats decided to hide for the morning.

Note the Shelduck, that's two months early, at least.

One reason for the distraction was Postie brought the new (actually 2nd hand) lens. Off to the coast with M. Tramped up Marwick. Light was pretty awful. The best shot was with the amazing 12-45 Pro but I got an idea of what the 100 - 300 could do.

Fulmar in front of the Kitchener Memorial, Marwick.

Fulmar and wave, 100 - 300.

 
Dusk from home.

We watched Blinded by the Light, a bit cringe/corny but it makes its point and of course the music is tremendous (if you like The Boss).

Light was grim Sunday morning but better at Northside. Trying things out.


Fulmars, Skiba Geo.

Skiba Shags. 

Winter sun from the garden.

Also at Skiba Geo, two Common Scoter and three Goldeneye.

So I have an approx two and a half year old Canon GX3 for sale, with eye piece, three batteries (Canon ones), filter holder, filters etc...., on EBay shortly.

No comments: