Wednesday 24 March 2021

I meant to post something but I got distracted...

 ... by James Yorkston's new album, Wide, Wide River by James Yorkston and The Second Hand Orchestra - https://www.jamesyorkston.co.uk/james-yorkston-and-the-second-hand-orchestra-the-wide-wide-river/

Alevin (just hatched Brown Trout).

At work we take part in a project, most years, raising Brown Trout from ova in the classroom. The Orkney Trout Fishing Association donate the ova, and this year helped us with some equipment, a glass door fridge. In the past the classroom part has involved a bit of a hike into the nether regions of the community part of the building where there is a route to a very cold, ground floor fire escape with space to put a small fish tank. Many thanks to MT and to the OTFA for all their help. This year, thanks to the fridge, the trout are in the classroom. They hatched yesterday and today, cute. https://trootintheshed.wordpress.com/

I've been writing other things, which is the main reason why there have been no posts here. A couple of pieces for the Orkney Field Club Bulletin. Also getting my rare bird descriptions done. Still trying to add data from 2020 to iRecord, and this year I'm already getting behind.

Common Quaker.

Depressaria radiella.

One night moth trapping produced, a Common Quaker in the trap and a Depressaria radiella on a wall of the house.

I've also been playing around with new kit, sound recording stuff. I thought I might have a bit of a go at this nocmig lark. The trouble here is that there are so many calling birds in spring, waders, wildfowl and corvids mostly. So I'm not sure how this is going to work, but I'll give it a try. I've bought a couple of relatively inexpensive bits of kit, a Tascam recorder and a Sennheiser microphone. Just waiting for a lead to come now. I have other uses for this stuff anyway, so nothing wasted and maybe something gained.

My job was advertised the other day, so any aspiring head teachers out there who fancy working with some excellent folk, and experiencing the northern isles should perhaps head over to - https://www.myjobscotland.gov.uk/councils/orkney-islands-council/jobs/head-teacher-dounby-community-school-211982 I am without doubt far too old to do it any longer, knackered, and ready to be put out to graze in the pleasant, but occasionally weather beaten, meadows of exploration (of Wild Things).

I'll let the Rooks have the last say....

Nisthouse rookery.

2 comments:

Steve Gale said...

Does this mean imminent retirement Alastair, or career change? Whichever it is, enjoy the change!

Alastair said...

Old Steve, old. Retiring. Thank you. Whether I need to do anything else we'll see. Ideally, full-time amateur field biologist. The job has been good at gobbling up life, time will be such a gift.