Friday 6 August 2021

Snorkeling.

 The snorkel mask and fins arrived yesterday so it was down to the sea. The water was uncomfortably colder than Arran for the first five minutes, but then that was forgotten with looking at everything and taking pix. I'm not the strongest swimmer or the most confident so the new fins were a bit of a boost on the falling tide. With -2 corrective lenses in the mask I could see far enough in front, and see the camera as well, handy. This was all a bit more necky than where we swam in Arran so care was required. Louise being a confident swimmer was quickly off into the distance but I stayed in the proximity of the beach. Once I got used to quickly being out of my depth and gained a bit of confidence with the new snorkel I began to concentrate on the underwater world. Nothing spectacular but these wee purple jellyfish-like creatures were all around me.

Medusa of a hydroid, not a jellyfish as such.

Identifying these doesn't really matter, I've not had a suggestion yet that such things are identifiable. Beautiful creatures. From 60mm diameter down to 20mm.

Medusa again.

Plenty of plants down there as well, my terrestrial botanical skills are flaky enough so I stuck to the basics.


Fucus serratus and a kelp which I think is Laminaria hyperborea (Cuvie) but I'm not 100% on that.

Sugar Kelp, Saccharina latissima.

Sea Lettuce (the bright green stuff, Ulva lactuca).

Pictures taken with the trusty Olympus Tough TG-4. I foolishly missed an underwater case for my PEN on ebay, but on reflection I'd have needed lights and a load of stuff, the TG-4 is easy to swim with as well.

Looking forward to the next time.

No comments: