Sunday 14 November 2021

Where did I put my Fieldfares?

The explanation to the absence of the seasonal cacklers is that they took a diversion and avoided me, but I won't take this too personally. There have been very few Fieldfares here. Until today I'd seen just two (and not through lack of effort let me add). South of us there have been thousands. The explanation is that they migrated south by going to the east of us, through Europe, and then they took a right turn and appeared through Yorkshire and all the way south where they pushed west. Today I went outside to do my moth thing. First there was one Fieldfare, then five more and then another forty. A second wave perhaps?

It has been unseasonally warm, as well as very wet, and various things seem to have occurred later than usual. The leaves are only off the trees because of the hooley the other day.

Friday night was warm, still, overcast; moth time.



Mottled Umber, eleven of these.


Acleris hyemana, three of these.

Blastobasis lacticolella, one of these.

It was so good I did it all over again last night.

White-shouldered House Moth, one.

Angle Shades, one.

Mottled Umber, one.

So, not quite so impressive but given the wind getting up not at all bad. Various intruders turned up over the two nights as well. No caddis, they seem to be done for the year but Limonia nubeculosa (a cranefly) is still going strong, Scathophaga stercoraria (Yellow Dung Fly) are present in some numbers, Forficula auricola (earwig) was on the wall, and there were many, many winter gnats, most likely Trichocera regelationis, but I haven't run the specimen I took through the key yet.

Scathophaga stercoraria, killing a Muscidae I think.

Sylvicola punctatus, last of the year maybe.

Likely Trichocera regelationis.

All of a sudden the garden is full of birds and the Greenfinch flock is hovering just under 40. Goldfinch have hit 14 and today there were at least 10 Chaffinch and a smart male Brambling.




First autumn records of Jack Snipe, on Thursday and Friday and Woodcock on Friday.

Today, after finally selling one of our cars, we went to Birsay.

Goodbye, Corsa.

There were the usual suspects, Harbour Seals, lots of Wigeon, Teal and Mallard and a good mixture of waders. Some of the Purple Sands were especially confiding.




Purple Sandpiper.

View from the garden, late afternoon.

No comments: