Tuesday 7 December 2021

Time travel, summer again.

I've spent today working on photos and records from June. I'm trying to get all my moth data to the county recorder on time for once. It's a challenge. Whilst I was working I often did not have enough time to go through my photos properly.

Grey Pug.

There is this huge folder from late June that I hadn't gone through with enough care. Some of my records need to be supported with photos and some photos revealed new records, like the Grey Pug above. I'd looked at this and thought it might be Freyer's Pug, however, a bit of tweeting and I was quickly put right, thanks all. Grey Pug is a very good record for me. I have a feeling I've only recorded it once before, a smart little moth.

Glyphypterix simpliciella - Cocksfoot Moth.

Unsurprisingly, looking at the state of it, this caused me some issues. If I'd sorted it at the time I would probably decided what it was immediately, a very common species here. Anyway, help was requested and that quickly got me on the right track, again thank you.

Epiblema scutulana.

I did manage the Epiblema under my own steam. A pile of photos now to upload to Flickr, and I really need to organise my Flickr site a bit better.

I didn't post all my snow on the beach photos the other day, here's the rest of the decent ones.


Marwick Beach with the Old Man of Hoy in the distance.

More snails and slugs have been examined. I found this on the pony food bowl which had me puzzled initially, I was thinking it was juvvy Leopard Slug, Limax maximus, however, a bit of research and thought, and I concluded it's a Tree Slug, Lehmannia marginata, just a very distinct colour form. Photo using the phone which is why its a bit rubbish.

Lehmannia marginata. Limax maximux after all.

It's in iRecord now so hopefully CdF will either confirm or correct. Corrected! With thanks to CdF.

I also went back to the birdcrop field and refound these two.



Aegopinella nitidula seems correct for this one.

However, I'm not so confident about the following very tiny beast. It doesn't seem to have a very distinct white lip to the shell, but the tooth does seem right.




Lauria cylindracea.

It's only just over 3mm long. Hopefully I've got it right.

On the way to release these two back where I found them I came across another species, I think it is a Vitrinidae but I haven't really examined it properly yet. I also went to Happy Valley and looked for snails. I have a couple of things from there to work through. One is the Aegopinella again, but the other might be something new, I need to have a more careful look at these.

Nothing much going on with birds, except even more Brambling, 32 under the feeders on one day. And a wader call I couldn't place the other night.


Brambling.

I wandered down to the Wee Wood late this afternoon. Three species of tree in there. Mostly Sycamore but the two trees on the left end are Wych Elm and there are a few Elder as well. I suspect the Wych Elm might have been there naturally and they are what encouraged someone to plant the Sycamore. The Sycamore have many broken boughs forming deep cups which are full of water, ideal for hoverflies amongst other things.

Wee Wood.

No comments: