Thursday 17 February 2022

The Brough of Birsay.

The weather was very lovely yesterday, no wind and some sun. After the fuel had been delivered and I'd stacked the best part of a tonne of wood pellets, no blown delivery here, we headed out. 

 

The Earl's (somewhat draughty) Palace, and Zanzibar, from the Brough.

I probably should have gone rock pooling but I fancied looking at birds. No white wingers this time.




Fulmar.

The Fulmars had ababdonned cliff the other day in the wind, but they were back in force today.

There weren't many Shags about but this one was reasonably happy with a gentle, cautious approach.





Shag.

Someone's been having fun with the beach stones.



There were just six Snow Bunts and they were not all that confiding but I managed to get a few pix.





Snow Buntings.

Other birds present were, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gull, Common Gull, Skylark, Rock Pipit, Starling and Snipe.

We did have a bit of a nosy around on the beach and found the remains of Brittle Starfish, another starfish species, I'm not sure what it is, and various claws of crustacea which require some research. I brought these things home to photograph and haven't got around to it yet. I'd better soon as they are stinking the garage fridge out.

No comments: