Monday 28 February 2022

Too many beetles.

On Friday I'd booked to attend the Tanyptera Trust's talk on Staphy beetles, to find that it clashed with the talk I was giving on Chrysolina latecincta intermedia. Darn! Fortunately the Tanyptera Trust talks are recorded so once they've put it up I can tootle along there and see what was what!

I missed out a beetle thing from the last post. Next to the grey plastic box on Birsay Links there was another long distance traveller, a bit of tree. I gave it a fair bit of scrutiny, and as well as 1,000s of collembola, Anurida maritima, there was a Staphy beetle. Unfortunately, it's a beetle I've found once before, associated with the seashore, but it's a nice thing anyway.

Long distance travelling tree, species? You can see ship worm holes. Rolled it to find lots of collembola and beetles.

Anurida maritima.

I took a couple of specimens of the beetle, but I should have recognised it from the field picture with the yellow edge to the recurved margin of the elytra.

Cafius xantholoma.

Today, Lesser Black-backed Gull finally turned up. And, after yesterday, the first spring-like day of the year (mostly), a pile of Black-headed Gulls arrived, calling and making a general racket. There was even a pair of Lapwing  half-heartedly displaying yesterday, a migrant flock today. Also three pairs of Pintail, always nice to see.


No comments: