Sunday 8 September 2024

Vismig/CCW

I casually asked about vismig during an online chat with an old friend (I mean a friend for a long time... oh, but actually we are "getting on"! Sorry NC.) This led to some coincidences, the national co-ordinator for Trekellen used to live here, viewed this house to buy (I'm glad they didn't), and it seems I'm now taking over their vismig patch, which apparently can be rather good. Being a bit of a patch watcher, I'm keen to incorporate the vismig into patch activity, but this might mean not using the best vismig place in the glen. A couple of attempts, one from a walk up the road produced a good few hirundines, and from Comrie Community Woodland (my other patch), in rubbish conditions, indicated its potential. I will go and inspect the "best" place though as well, although I'm more keen to watch from the CCW and add to that patch totals. It produced some House Martins, Meadow Pipits and Grey Wagtail, it also has useful seating. Whilst not birding that much anymore, I'm surprisingly keen to do the vismig, not very good at early starts nowadays! However, I'm quite excited, and waiting for decent conditions to give it a go. Interesting really, as I didn't even go to look for waders at Tentsmuir the other day.

During the investigative vismig visit to CCW I did a bit of hunting around as well, my focus was on willow, Salix this time (Betula, last time). I found a few things.

It was a bit early and cool for most insects on a misty still morning but I found two nice caterpillars and the beating tray added a few things.

Drinker.

Iron Prominent.


Melanapion minimum, if correct will be the most northerly record in the UK. Actually, Perapion curtirostre (thanks MG and CW). No tooth on the claws, and some differences with the stria and it looks more hairy. As the beast is 2mm long, seeing a tooth on the claw was "challenging", but I really believe there is not one.


Dicyrtomina minuta.
 
Dicyrtomina saundersi

Tomocerus longicornis.

No comments: