Sunday 22 September 2024

Water

Water is an issue in the community we've moved to. Much of the village, more than 180 homes and businesses, are susceptible to flooding from the combined force of three rivers, River Earn, Water of Ruchill and the River Lednock. Next month work will begin on a £27 million scheme to build barriers to protect the village. We are fortunate in that where we are we have a very small risk from standing water. In Scotland you can see the risk from the excellent SEPA flood maps. Whilst the scheme is not ideally what you would want, and perhaps a more natural environment for these rivers in their upland sources would mitigate the issues somewhat, the climate emergency appears to have brought a change in rainfall patterns, sudden very heavy inundations have become not infrequent at any time of year. When the Romans built their camp on the site, not far from where the majority of the houses in the village now stand, flooding would most likely have been a most unlikely event, now, for many houses in the village it is a 10% risk annually.

Much of the area to the south of the River Earn is at risk, that's most of the housing.

Anyway, online I found the EIA report and it makes quite interesting reading. Confirming my three bat identifications and indicating that there is certainly one other species present, as I've suspected, but most likely two.

I'm still exploring the patch, the small lochan behind the house, in the woods, is a bit tricky/sensitive to access apparently. It does rather feel as if you are in a neighbour's garden. However, recently, I found some more water. There's an abandoned fish farm and I've slowly realised there are a number of pools. Access is not especially easy, it's all rather over-grown. Anyway, I've added two species, Little Grebe and Mute Swan, and found Moorhen and Reed Bunting, species seen once and infrequently respectively elsewhere on the patch.

Mute Swan. The day I saw this I also added Pink-footed Goose to the patch list, over-flying migrants.

A bit of a poke around in the sunshine and I found four species of Odonata, there's potential for several more. Indeed, the occasional predatory beast has hurtled through the garden, but not stopped long enough for an ID.

Black Darter, above. Also present, Common Blue Damsel, Emerald Damsel, Common Darter.

I think the site will be most interesting in the spring, it has the potential for a decent inland find or two. Grasshopper Warbler, and Sedge and Reed Warblers will be on my watch list, but it is the most likely spot for something a tad more exciting. A Great Reed Warbler would be nice, a Marsh Warbler would be appreciated.

I went to a meeting about the flood protection scheme, a sort of roaming discussion. This occurred at the Community Woodland and we wandered about and talked water. We ended up just off the site at a Beaver dam. It was too dark to see by then but the this afternoon Louise and I went back. No Beaver seen but the dam is quite impressive.

The dam.

Leaves from a partly felled Aspen on the water.

The moth trapping went through a dead patch, warm days but clear nights with a large Moon. There were very few moths, both in numbers and species, however, I did continue to add at least one lifer a time. two of the new moths have been long sort and imagined; Frosted Orange and Merveille du Jour.

Frosted Orange.


Merveille du Jour

I've caught three Copper Underwing agg. The first one escaped before I could look at it properly and foolishly I took photos and let the next two go. I'd not really grasped the criteria for separating the two species and whilst I thought the photos would be good enough I suspect they will be inadequate. To be certain of the ID I need to dissect one I think. I've caught Copper Underwing before in Yorkshire, I dissected it. However, here in Perthshire I suspect these will be Svensson's Copper Underwing, however, I need to prove that. The next one is for the chop!

Copper Underwing agg, probably Svensson's, but not certainly.

And here's my attempt to differentiate... I can't see any orange in the underwing, let alone the extent of it.

Copper Underwing agg.

The colour of the palps is supposed to be an ok criteria on fresh specimens, unfortunately I didn't know that this morning.

I've been finding various other bits and bats of stuff. A fair number of larvae, particularly of sawflies, but the occasional caterpillar as well.


I thought this was Nematinus fuscipennis, but the thinking now is that it may be a Rhogogaster species. (thanks AG).

And here's a nice caterpillar, Scalloped Hazel.

Scalloped Hazel.

I've also been trying to identify fungi, but I'll save them for another post.


1 comment:

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Beautiful moths, never seen a mereveille!