Sunday 3 October 2021

Surfie.

 Yesterday and Louise needed a letter posting and I fancied a look at The Shunan. A message on the What's App from AL gvae the gen of a Med Gull at Marwick, so I volunteered for the post run. Met the postie half way down our road which messed up looking at The Shunan, so went straight to Marwick. As forewarned there were a lot of gulls there but eventually I dug out the Med Gull, distantly and awkward to photo, I failed. Amongst the reported 700 Common Gulls were a couple of Kittiwakes and a 1cy Lesser Black-backed Gull, getting late for those here, and they can look more interesting than they are.

Spot the Leeb.

I spent far too long going through the gulls, but that was fortunate as about to leave I checked the phone and AL had also relocated Thursday's Surf Scoter. I'd not expected that to still be around, close inshore just up the road at Skaill Bay.

The light was excellent, the bird was helpful, and I didn't even get wet feet.




Drake Surf Scoter.

Having spent hours searching for and watching very distant Surfies in Kirkwall Bay over recent years, on one occasion going out on a boat to try to get pictures, this was such a great opportunity.

The bird was feeding close inshore just behind the breakers. I could wait until the bird dived then go down the beach into the waves take a few pictures and then retreat. It didn't seem to mind this behaviour and kept feeding. The images are pretty heavily cropped mind.


No comments: